Quick Guide to Setting Up Payments Through MySchoolBucks
We’re happy that you’ve chosen our partner MySchoolBucks to accept online payments from families registering directly through FamilyID.
You will set up and configure your payment accounts directly with a representative from MySchoolBucks. This article will guide you through linking your MySchoolBucks payment accounts to your FamilyID program registration forms and the basics of using MySchoolBucks with FamilyID.
Setting Up Your MySchoolBucks Account
Before accepting payments through FamilyID, you will need to work with your MySchoolBucks representative to set up your MySchoolBucks account. Keep the following in mind:
- This will be necessary even if your organization already uses MySchoolBucks.
- It may take several weeks for MySchoolBucks to complete your account set-up and activation. Keep this in mind when considering deadlines for your program registrations.
- If you already collect payments for programs and activities through MySchoolBucks, make sure that your pre-existing school store is disabled, or that you have removed the program fees that will be associated with your FamilyID programs and instead direct parents to your FamilyID landing page. This is required for families to complete payments as part of their registration, and for payments to be automatically recorded and for you to issue refunds in FamilyID.
If you have not already done so, make sure to give your Business Office access to your FamilyID account with the ability to manage payment methods. You can find step by step instructions for adding a user by clicking here.
To begin, log into your FamilyID account. Next to the program to which you wish to add the payment method, select Edit. You will see tabs 1-8 at the top. Select tab 6, Payment.
In the top right-hand corner, select Create New Payment Method. On the dropdown menu, select MySchoolBucks.
A Create New Payment Method window will appear.
If you have not yet set up your payments accounts with your MySchoolBucks representative, click the link to notify MySchoolBucks that you are interested in getting started.
Once your MySchoolBucks account is set up, fill in the form. The Client ID, Store ID, Department ID, and Payment Method ID are credentials which are provided to you by your MySchoolBucks Representative.
- Name (Required)
- This is the name your customers and you will see when selecting a way to pay. If you have different MySchoolBucks accounts for multiple purposes (i.e. athletics, clubs, early morning programs), make sure that you create a payment method for each account. Name them so that you can easily differentiate between multiple accounts (e.g. MySchoolBucks for Athletics). Be sure to assign the correct payment method to the correct program.
- Client ID (Required)
- Store ID (Optional -- based on the configuration of your MySchoolBucks account)
- Department ID (Optional -- based on the configuration of your MySchoolBucks account)
- Payment Method ID (Optional -- based on the configuration of your MySchoolBucks account)
Once you have finished, select Save.
The final step is to assign this payment method to your program. Check the box to the left of your payment method. Then select Save or Save and Continue at the bottom of the page.
Charging an Administrative Fee to Registrants
If you have set up your MySchoolBucks account to have parents pay for the processing fee, you should assign an administrative fee to a program. The fee is a percentage of the total cost of the registration. You will add the fee to the field provided at the top of the Payments tab. You may assign an administrative fee to each of your programs. You may only add one administrative fee per program.
- Administrative fees must be added into the program before accepting registrations. Fees cannot be retroactively added to existing registrations.
- Check with your MySchoolBucks representative to verify if your Merchant Processing Agreement (MPA) calls for parents to pay a fee. If so, make sure that the "Program Fee" is disabled in your MySchoolBucks account. An administrative fee should be charged only on the FamilyID registration form; this will prevent the fee from being charged twice to parents.
- If you have alternative forms of payment (such as cash and check), you may choose to disable the administrative fee for those payment options. You can do so by selecting Edit next to the payment method, then checking Deduct administrative fee when this payment method is used.
Do a test payment
Complete a test payment before opening up your registration to your participants. This will ensure that your MySchoolBucks account is properly accepting payments and that the funds are being deposited into the correct accounts.
For step by step instructions on doing a test payment, click here.
Refunding MySchoolBucks payments through FamilyID
You can issue refunds directly through FamilyID for payments made with MySchoolBucks. Please note:
- All refunds must be processed through FamilyID in order for records on both systems to correlate. If you log into your MySchoolBucks account and process refunds directly from there, the refunds will not appear in FamilyID.
- If a customer paid via E-Check or ACH, you will need to contact MySchoolBucks to have these payments refunded. These payments cannot be refunded through FamilyID or through your MySchoolBucks customer portal.
- If the customer paid via a credit card that has since expired, MySchoolBucks cannot issue a refund for that payment. Please reach out to MySchoolBucks for assistance or issue a refund via check.
To refund a customer, log-in to FamilyID and select the Programs button in the blue menu bar at the top of the page.
To find a specific student to refund, either hover over your program's filled number and select the section the registrant signed up for, or click the full filled number to see all registrations for this program.
From the list, locate the registration you'd like to refund and select the down-arrow next to the View button on the right. Select PAYMENTS.
Thank you for choosing to use MySchoolBucks with FamilyID
If you have any questions, please reach out to our Support Team at 1-781-205-2800 Ext. 3 or firstname.lastname@example.org.